Hollywood

Seal Accuses Oprah Winfrey of Enabling Harvey Weinstein: You Are ‘Part of the Problem’

Grammy-winning singer Seal blasted Oprah Winfrey in a searing post to his Instagram account Thursday, accusing the billionaire media mogul and potential 2020 presidential candidate of being “part of the problem” in Hollywood’s culture of sexual harassment and abuse. The 54-year-old “Kiss from a Rose” singer called out Winfrey for her relationship with disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein, who has been accused of harassing and abusing dozens of women over a decades-long career in Hollywood. Winfrey made two films with Weinstein’s involvement, including 2013’s Lee Daniels’s The Butler and 2007’s The Great Debaters, and can be seen in online photos embracing the fallen mogul. “Oh I forgot, that’s right… you’d heard the rumors but you had no idea he was actually serially assaulting young starry-eyed actresses who in turn had no idea what they were getting into,” Seal wrote on his Instagram account. “My bad.” The singer included a meme of Winfrey and Weinstein that accused her of being “part of the problem for decades,” and captioned the post with the hashtag, “#SanctimoniousHollywood.” Winfrey fueled speculation that she would make a run for the presidency in 2020 after delivering a fiery acceptance speech Sunday at the Golden Globes, during which she spoke about the #MeToo movement to end sexual abuse and said a “new day is on the horizon.”

How great is this?!?  Kudos to Seal for calling out Oprah on her brazen hypocrisy.  Excellent!!

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ opens with $220M, 2nd best weekend all-time

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” rocketed to a debut of $220 million at the North American box office, landing the second-best opening ever and slotting in behind only its predecessor, “The Force Awakens,” according to studio estimates Sunday. The Disney blockbuster became just the fourth film to open above $200 million domestically. Aside from “The Force Awakens” ($248.8 million), the others are “The Avengers” ($207.4 million) and “Jurassic World” ($208.8 million). Accounting for inflation, the debut of 2012’s “The Avengers” would rank just ahead of “The Last Jedi.” “The Last Jedi” is off to a similar start overseas, too, with $230 million in international ticket sales, said Disney. That brings its three-day global haul to $450 million. As anticipated, “The Last Jedi” fell shy of the opening weekend for J.J. Abrams’ 2015 franchise reboot, which eventually grossed $2.1 billion worldwide. But the massive debut not only puts “The Last Jedi” in the record books, it singlehandedly brightens what has been a disappointing year for Hollywood. The weekend was far and away the highest grossing of the year. The opening also gave the Walt Disney Co. the opportunity to flex its muscles on the heels of its deal announced Thursday to purchase 21st Century Fox for $52.4 billion. As part of the acquisition, Disney will take control of 20th Century Fox, one of Hollywood’s six major studios. Fox, as it happens, was the only studio to open another new wide-release film against “The Last Jedi.” Its family film, “Ferdinand,” was essentially stampeded by “The Last Jedi,” grossing $13.3 million. “Ferdinand” and other upcoming releases will look for more room in the coming weeks, once the “Star Wars” tsunami has waned. While Abrams’ reboot capitalized on a decade’s hiatus for “Star Wars,” Rian Johnson’s sequel didn’t have the same luxury of freshness. It follows not only “The Force Awakens,” but last year’s spinoff, “Rogue One.” That release opened with $155.1 million, and ultimately took in a little more than $1 billion globally. Johnson instead aimed to distinguish “The Last Jedi” by introducing some new tones to George Lucas’ space opera. “The Last Jedi” is more irreverent than previous chapters. The plan has seemed to work. Critics gave Johnson’s film a 93 percent fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Audiences endorsed it, too, with an A CinemaScore. Signaling its faith in Johnson’s course for “Star Wars,” Lucasfilm earlier announced that Johnson is developing another trilogy for the franchise, the first of which he’ll write and direct. Abrams is set to return to direct Episode IX after he was brought in to replace Colin Trevorrow.

I saw The Last Jedi yesterday, and thought it was excellent!  May the Force continue…

‘Buffy’ star James Marsters reflects on difficult scene: ‘It was a horrible day’

James Marsters is reflecting on his iconic, bleached-blond super villain character Spike 20 years after “Buffy The Vampire Slayer” premiered. “To Joss Whedon, evil is not cool and I really respect that — Spike was put up as cool and evil only because he was a disposable character,” Marsters, 55, told Page Six. “He was supposed to die.” The “Runaways” actor told us that Whedon had intended for Spike to get killed off by Angel, the show’s moral vampire, early on. Whedon, who created the show, was not happy when fans began to like Spike. “It was not supposed to be romantic, but the audience was responding that way and Joss was freaking out,” he told us. “He backed me up against a wall one day and said, ‘I don’t care how popular you are, you are dead.’” He continued, “Spike was the wrong boyfriend. Spike was not ready for Buffy during the run of the show. He was way below her and because the reaction was so strong … they had to do something dramatic to prove that wasn’t true.” The move, which became one of the show’s biggest controversies, came in the sixth season of the series when Spike attempts to rape Buffy in the bathroom of her home before she fights him off. “It was the hardest day of my professional career. It was a horrible day,” Marsters told us. “I personally don’t like to watch that stuff. I will not go to a movie if I know that’s in there. I will turn the TV off if it pops up. I will pass on auditions if thats what they want me to do, but I was contracted to do it.” Marsters says the storyline came from one of the female writers who threw herself on an ex-boyfriend in college in hopes of him taking her back. “She went to his apartment and was convinced if they made love one more time that everything would be fine,” he explained. “He had to physically push her off and that just crushed her and stuck with her all her life.” The actor says he has no regrets about doing the scene and despite the mixed reviews, it set Spike up for his “journey toward redemption.” Marsters will be back on TV Nov. 21 starring as a super villain (of course) in Marvel’s “Runaways” on Hulu.

Here at The Daily Buzz, we rarely get into inside-HollyWEIRD nonsense and post entertainment articles.  But, c’mon..  This is Buffy; a classic.  How could we resist?   🙂

 

Jessica Chastain Admits Hollywood Has No Moral Authority: ‘We’re Very Quick to Point the Finger at Others’

Oscar-nominated actress Jessica Chastain went directly after a key issue that, in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein sex scandal, will affect Tinseltown for at least a generation — the fact that the decades-long, industry-wide cover-up of sexual misconduct has destroyed whatever residual moral authority Hollywood had left. Speaking at an Elle magazine event Monday, Chastain said, “Oh we’re very quick to point the finger at others and address the issue with social action and fundraising. Yet there is a clear disconnect between how we practice what we preach in our industry.” She added, “We rally against the presidential candidate who slants a narrative of his sexual assault as mere locker room talk, but at the same time we ignore the stories and warnings of sexual predators in our offices.” While the knock against President Trump is a myth perpetrated by a dishonest national media that continues to lie about Trump “admitting” to sexual harassment in the infamous Access Hollywood tape (he did not), Chastain’s overall point is dead on. There is nothing leftwing Hollywood enjoys more than to spend $50 million on a movie no one will see as a means to scold and look down upon normal Americans, most especially conservatives and Christians, who live in the suburbs, the south or anywhere not on a coast. After Hollywood’s defense of admitted child rapist Roman Polanski ten years ago, this was already laughable. The Weinstein scandal, however, is something altogether different. The public now knows that the very same Hollywood that jumped on the War on Women bandwagon, that slashed and burned every Republican in sight over the issue, that backed Hillary Clinton… That this industry has the dirtiest and most disgusting backyard in corporate history. While Hollywood donned their shrill pussyhats and stridently lectured the rest of us, Tinseltown was aggressively shielding, enabling, and protecting countless predators and harassers. And these harassers and predators are still being shielded.

Indeed..  Well said John!  John Nolte is responsible for that spot-on op/ed.  HollyWEIRD is all about “do as I say; not as I do.”  They’re an industry, the majority of which are narcissistic, self-righteous, arrogant, extreme liberal, elitist hypocrites.  And, they pat themselves on the back each year at that nauseating vomit-worthy get-together called the Oscars….where they tell each other how wonderful they are, while talking down to the rest of us peasants in middle America.  Kudos to Jessica for at least acknowledging that HollyWEIRD has no moral authority.

Hollywood’s summer has flopped so far. Here comes ‘Wonder Woman’ to the rescue

Hollywood just suffered its worst Memorial Day weekend in 18 years, an eye-popping omen for what’s shaping up to be a bleak summer box office. All signs suggest Warner Bros. is about to deliver a much-needed hit with Diana of Themyscira, a.k.a. Wonder Woman, whose long-awaited feature film gets its wide release this weekend. But that probably won’t be enough to lift the movie business out if its funk, with summer ticket sales down 9% from the same period last year, according to ComScore. Last weekend’s debut of “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” topped the charts with $77 million in the U.S. and Canada, down significantly from its 2011 predecessor “On Stranger Tides.” Paramount Pictures’ “Baywatch” wiped out with $27.6 million in five days, thanks to poor reviews. “Summer box office is off to a terrible start,” Cowen & Co. analyst Doug Creutz said in a Tuesday note to clients. Individual movies are not the only problem, analysts say. This summer has been hampered by Hollywood’s over-reliance on tent poles and aging franchises, coupled with worsening attendance levels because of increased competition from at-home entertainment. “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” started May off in a big way ($338 million to date), but it’s been mostly downhill since then. Warner Bros’ “King Arthur: Legend of the Sword” was a $175-million flop, and Fox’s “Alien: Covenant” was a lackluster performer. Memorial Day weekend ticket sales totaled $173 million in the United States and Canada, the lowest result for the four-day holiday frame since 1999, according to data from ComScore. The sluggish results are validating pre-summer predictions that the season would fall as much as 10% from last year. American audiences seem to be growing weary of the preponderance of sequels and reboots of old franchises. The latest “Alien” movie opened with $36 million in ticket sales, nearly 30% lower than its predecessor “Prometheus.” The three-day opening of the latest “Pirates” was also down 30% from “On Stranger Tides,” though the movie is making up ground internationally. Growing competition from buzzed-about prestige TV and streaming shows may also be siphoning attention from summer film fare, making it harder for would-be blockbusters to lure patrons. “There are so many options for entertainment, and that certainly raises the bar,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst at ComScore. “But the main thing is, you need movies that keep people coming back to the theaters.” Smaller movies normally billed as “counter programming” are getting squeezed. Amy Schumer’s R-rated comedy “Snatched” did modest business, and “Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul” also failed to register at the box office. Not even the charisma of Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson could save the raunchy “Baywatch.”

Yeah, I’ve heard from friends that the Baywatch reboot was dreadful..  Anyway, to read the rest of this article by Ryan Faughnder over at the LA Times, click on the text above..

Powers Boothe, known for villain roles in ‘Deadwood’ and ‘Sin City,’ dies at 68

Powers Boothe, the character actor known for his villain roles in TV’s “Deadwood,” and in the movies “Tombstone,” ”Sin City” and “The Avengers,” has died. He was 68. Boothe’s publicist says he died of natural causes at his home in Los Angeles Sunday. Beau Bridges tweeted the news and called him “a dear friend, great actor, devoted father and husband.” The veteran actor won an Emmy award in 1980 for playing cult leader Jim Jones in the TV movie “Guyana Tragedy: The Story of Jim Jones.” He also had memorable roles playing the ruthless saloon owner Cy Tolliver in “Deadwood,” the gunman Curly Bill Brocius in “Tombstone” and the corrupt senator in “Sin City.” A private service will be held in Texas where he was from.

Many folks will remember him as one of the members of the “World Security Council” in the movie The Avengers…and a role he’d reprise in the spin-off tv series “Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD.  But, remember when he played the shot down Air Force pilot in the original Red Dawn?  Thanks for all the memories, Powers.  R.I.P.

L.A. Street Artist Targets Oscars With Mocking Posters on Hollywood and Highland

A conservative street artist is mocking Hollywood’s biggest night, using fake Redbox kiosks and a line from a Quentin Tarantino movie to bash Sunday night’s Oscar show. Sabo, an artist who has made a name for himself with real-looking movie posters that skewer liberalism, plastered his latest creations all over Hollywood and Highland, a stone’s throw from where celebrities will be walking the red carpet. In the dead of night Thursday and early Friday morning, Sabo plastered his posters all over town, in hard-to-reach places where they look like genuine advertisements. “All those assholes make are unwatchable movies from unreadable books,” says one large poster containing a giant image of an Oscar statuette. The text was borrowed from Tarantino’s True Romance. Sabo also created ads for Redbox and even built some replicas of the movie rental service’s iconic kiosks. Some of the kiosks feature the Tarantino line and others say: “Yeah, we wouldn’t have paid full price to watch any Oscar nominated movies either.” The Redbox mock-ups are not only in Hollywood, but also Brentwood and Westwood near the homes of many celebrities and industry executives. Typically, Sabo’s fake posters will stay up as long as 24 hours before the powers that be get around to tearing them down, but he’s hopeful his newest crop will survive through Sunday’s Oscar show. “These pieces look so legit no one is thinking to take them down. It almost looks like a real Redbox ad,” he said. “I consider this piece my representation of the discounting of Hollywood.” Sabo, though, says he’s not only unimpressed with most movies nowadays, he’s also infuriated with what he considers the mistreatment of President Donald Trump by many celebrities. “I’m pissed off at Hollywood and it’s outspoken liberal actors enough to not want to spend what a theater asks, and that is my way of keeping as much of my money from going into Hollywood’s pockets,” he said. In the past, Sabo has used his street art to attack Leonardo DiCaprio, Cher, Lena Dunham, Hillary Clinton and many more, and he sells his politically conservative work at his website.ve. 

Excellent!!  To see some of Sabo’s work, click on the text above.   🙂