Detroit

Detroit teacher sick-out closes nearly all of its public schools

Nearly all of Detroit’s public schools were closed Monday after the teachers union urged members to call out sick following a weekend announcement that the district wouldn’t be able to pay its teachers starting this summer. District spokeswoman Michelle Zdrodowski said in an email Monday morning that 94 of the district’s 97 schools would be closed for the day. About 46,000 students are enrolled in the district’s schools. The move by the Detroit Federation of Teachers was announced Sunday, a day after Detroit Public Schools’ transition manager said the district would have no money to continue paying teachers this summer without further funding from the state. “There’s a basic agreement in America: When you put in a day’s work, you’ll receive a day’s pay,” Detroit Federation of Teachers Interim President Ivy Bailey said in a statement. “DPS is breaking that deal. Teachers want to be in the classroom giving children a chance to learn and reach their potential. “Unfortunately, by refusing to guarantee that we will be paid for our work, DPS is effectively locking our members out of the classrooms.” In March, Gov. Rick Snyder signed into law emergency funding that is keeping the district operating through the end of the school year as the state Legislature considers a $720 million restructuring plan that would pay off the district’s enormous debt. Former bankruptcy Judge Steven Rhodes, who was appointed this year to oversee the district, also said Saturday that DPS would be unable to fund summer school or special education programs after June 30. On Sunday night, he said in a statement that the union’s “choice for a drastic call to action was not necessary” and said that a sickout is “counterproductive and detrimental” to the efforts of those trying to help the school district. “I understand the frustration and anger that our teachers feel,” Rhodes said. “I am, however, confident that the Legislature will support the request that will guarantee that teachers will receive the pay that is owed to them.” Teacher strikes are illegal under Michigan law. Sick-outs earlier this year caused tens of thousands of students to miss class.

First we hear about Flint, Michigan’s water problem, and now Detroit’s public school issues.  Both cities are solidly under Democrat control (as are the teacher’s unions).  Both are a complete mess.  See the pattern?

Detroit Police Sergeant Under Investigation After Comparing Beyonce’s Super Bowl Performance To KKK

A Detroit police sergeant who allegedly criticized Beyonce’s Super Bowl halftime show by posting a reference to the Ku Klux Klan is being investigated. The sergeant, who was unnamed but is reportedly a 17-year veteran of the department, apparently didn’t like the halftime performance — particularly Beyonce’s dancers, who were sporting afros, berets and dressed in an all-black style similar to the Black Panther party. At one point in the performance, the dancers raised their fists to the sky and made a formation on the field in the shape of an X that, according to the sergeant, was attributed to black activist Malcolm X. The sergeant was so displeased with the performance that he took his option to his personal Facebook page, saying next year’s halftime show should include the KKK. The post included a photo of Beyonce’s dancers above a group wearing white Ku Klux Klan robes, according to a report by WJBK. It included the text: “So if the dance troupe at the top is ok for this years’ halftime show, then the one at the bottom should be ok for next years’, right?” His post drew complaints from many of his co-workers, who reported it to Police Chief James Craig. Craig said the sergeant’s views are not representative of the department or any other officer. The sergeant has since removed his post and replaced it with a message offering an apology. The sergeant remains on the job although the incident is under investigation.

I fail to see what’s so controversial here..  The good officer is exactly right asking such a question.  Beyonce and her obnoxious dancers clearly were promoting and celebrating black racial violence and the Black Panther Party; a terrorist organization by ANY standard.  And, c’mon..  Let’s be honest.  The comparison between the Black Panther Party (or it’s most recent version, the “New Black Panther Party,” as it’s called today) and the Klan is more than fair.  But, in the era of extreme political correctness, and “white guilt,” you can’t even ask questions rhetorically like that.  The hypocrisy and double standard is truly breathtaking.  So, a cop with 17 years on the force is in big trouble (might even get fired) for having the nerve to ask a perfectly reasonable question like that on his own personal FaceBook site, for crying out loud!  The pc police and speech nazis have pressured us into what we can say, and can’t say, even in our own private lives and on our own personal social media.  Worrying about who we offend is now the highest priority in these times.  And those who bow to such pressure, like this Detroit PD Chief, are just encouraging this speech censorship.  What the Detroit Chief should do, instead, is say, “what someone says on their own private social media sites does not necessarily reflect the Detroit PD.”  And, leave it at that.  For them to “investigate” this officer is beyond outrageous…and sends the wrong message.  Shame on Chief Craig, and the Detroit PD.

Drunken Illegal Alien Arrested for Trying to Snatch 13-Year-Old Girl: ‘Come With Me’

Detroit police arrested 43-year-old illegal alien Elias Lopez for harassing a 13-year-old girl while intoxicated, but U.S. Immigration Customs and Enforcement (ICE) agents picked him up only after outraged community members learned he had been released. According to the Detroit Free Press–which first identified the illegal alien as “man”–Lopez began yelling at the girl in Spanish from across the street, then walked over, telling her “come with me.” She said no, but Lopez tried to hand her $100, and made a grab for her arm. Terrified, the girl fled until she reached aa friend’s house, crying and “nearly hyperventilating.” Someone called 911 and police found Lopez as the victim described him. He blew a .19 on the breathalyzer, twice the legal limit for driving in Michigan, and had urinated on himself. He worked as a cook in at a local Mexican restaurant called MiZarape, but a manager said he couldn’t comment on whether it had knowingly hired an illegal alien. Police said Lopez never actually touched the girl, so they charged him for being disorderly. They notified ICE agents, who declined to pick him up, forcing them to release Lopez. “We’re actually obligated to treat [an illegal alien] same as everyone else. We can’t detain them any longer than we could detain anyone else,” said local police chief Tom Lindberg. But ICE agents returned to the town and frogmarched Lopez out of the restaurant. He now faces deportation. “I’m very proud ICE did the right thing,” Lindberg said, adding that the initial story sparked “a lot of negative comments” from the community. “I think the community will appreciate that [ICE] came out to get him. We don’t want this person lurking around Milford. I wanted him out of here.” Michigan taxpayers will pay for Lopez to be housed in a county jail while awaiting a federal hearing. Restaurants get the cheap labor; citizens pay for the real costs of importing a criminal class to work for lower wages.

Packing heat in Detroit: Motown residents answer police chief’s call to arms

Detroit resident Darrell Standberry doesn’t navigate streets of the Motor City without his licensed handgun, and it already has saved his life once. “I never leave home without my weapon,” he said. “You never know when or what you’ll encounter.” It was 2011, when Standberry stopped at a gas station on Six Mile Road after attending his son’s football practice. After filling up the tank of his SUV, he left the car running and went inside to pay, only to spot a man jumping in behind the wheel. “I went back over and told him to get out of my car,” said Standberry, 46, aformer bar owner who is now a college student. “He told me to get the hell out of there and drove off.” Standberry stood frozen as the bandit peeled away, but then felt his heart pound when the thief doubled back. His hand moved down to his hip and gripped a holstered, .45-caliber SIG Sauer as the man who had stolen his car bore down on him. “I saw him pulling out his gun to shoot me,” Standberry recalled. “So I pulled my gun out and shot him.” The shot went through the windshield and hit its target, a criminal with a long record who made a short-lived getaway before crashing into a tree and dying. Standberry’s claim of self-defense was never questioned by local cops. In a city plagued by chronic unemployment and crime and guarded by a dwindling police force, residents of Detroit are increasingly taking protection of themselves, their families and property into their own hands. Those who do so responsibly have the blessing and backing of Detroit Police Chief James Craig. “When you look at the city of Detroit, we’re kind of leading the way in terms of urban areas with law-abiding citizens carrying guns,” Craig said recently. The chief’s call to arms, which first came in December, 2013, has been answered by thousands of men and women tired of being victims and eager to reclaim their beleaguered city. In 2014, some new 1,169 handgun permits were issued, while 8,102 guns were registered with Detroit’s police department – many to prior permit holders who bought new firearms. So for in 2015, nearly 500 permits have issued by the department and more than 5,000 guns have been registered. “There’s definitely been a “Chief Craig” effect,” Rick Ector, a firearms instructor who runs the blog Legally Armed in Detroit. “His support and endorsement has been helpful.” Obtaining a concealed-carry permit in the state of Michigan is not difficult compared to states with stricter gun laws. Eligible citizens can meet the state’s training requirement in eight hours, and firearms academies and gun shops within the city offer one-day courses for as little as $99. Ector said that he and other instructors have seen a steady rise in locals looking to get a permit, to protect themselves either on the street or in their homes. While data showing a relation between increased gun ownership and the crime rate is not available, Ector said legally armed residents are having an effect. “Home invasions have gone down,” he said. “A huge reason was that there was a huge spate of homeowners using their guns against intruders. More people have guns and it’s making burglars cautious.” The firearms instructor said women are driving growth in his business. “It used to be that we would only have one or two women in a class,” he said. “Now we are seeing much, much more. This past May, I held a class where we trained 300 ladies.”

How great is that?!? As for the intial story… Gotta love that! Another happy Sig Sauer owner (mine is a P228, oh yes)protecting himself lawfully, and putting down a worthless piece of garbage in the process. It almost brings a tear to my eye… 🙂

Terror or hate? FBI probes Detroit-area stabbings where Muslim suspect reportedly asked victims’ faith

The FBI is probing a frightening Valentine’s Day attack near Detroit, where a suspect stabbed two men after they told him they were not Muslim, to determine if the attack was a hate crime or even the work of a home-grown radical, a former Motor City FBI chief said Tuesday. Detroit police contacted the federal law enforcement agency after Terrence Lavaron Thomas, 39, was charged with two counts of assault with intent to murder after allegedly attacking two men with a 3-inch blade at a bus stop near a shopping mall on Saturday. Both victims suffered stab wounds, and were treated and released from a hospital for non-life threatening injuries. But it was the exchange the suspect allegedly had with his victims, in which he asked if they were Muslim, that has prompted a further investigation. “It could constitute a hate crime,” Andrew Arena, former special agent in charge of the FBI’s Detroit Division and current head of the Detroit Crime Commission, told MyFoxDetroit.com. “We have to see what really motivated this guy. You call it home-grown radicals, jihadis, this is really the biggest threat throughout the world right now.”

Agreed.  Just glad to hear that the two victims are recovering and that this disgusting piece of garbage was caught.  Hopefully they throw him in jail for the rest of his miserable life.  Oh, and I wonder if some enterprising journalist will ask Obama, AG Eric Holder, Susan Rice, or any of the other incompetent tools in that worthless administration if they think Islam had anything to do with this domestic terror/hate crime?…and see how they babble and trip over themselves excusing it away somehow.

Detroit man who murdered two white teens declares ‘black lives matter’ during sentencing

A black man who was found guilty of murdering two white teenagers execution-style in a vacant Detroit field defiantly declared “black lives matter” Wednesday before being sentenced to life in prison.

What a disgusting waste of space..  This speaks to a much larger issue..  For this monster to say at his sentencing, after having been convicted of 1st degree murder of two white teenagers, that “black lives matter” shows the mentality of those who say things like that.  In OTHER words, according to them,  white lives DON’T matter….certainly not white cops.  And that’s what nobody is having the courage to address.

Unclaimed remains of 13 veterans to get full military burials

Remains of 13 military veterans left unclaimed in a Detroit morgue will be buried with full military honors in a Veterans Administration national cemetery.

Very sad that these remains are “unclaimed.” Hopefully the VA will do everything it can to identify those they may not be identified (if any), and then try to find next of kin to notify, etc. Its hard to imagine so many unclaimed. R.I.P. guys..