Classic Rock

Roger Waters blasts ex bandmate David Gilmour for banning him from Pink Floyd’s website

Pink Floyd’s Roger Waters has called out David Gilmour for banning him from the rock group’s official website and social media platforms. On Monday, Waters posted a lengthy video to his Twitter account in which he puts Gilmour on blast for assuming control of the rockers’ webpage and essentially banning him from having any part of it. “Nothing from me is on the website,” the band’s original bass guitarist said in a video filmed from inside of his home. “I am banned by David Gilmour from the website.” Waters said he feels it would be “fair and correct” for all of the band members to post updates about their projects on the site, no matter if they’ve since left the group. “David thinks he owns it. I think he thinks that because I left the band in 1985 that he owns Pink Floyd, that he is Pink Floyd, that I’m irrelevant and I should just keep my mouth shut,” Waters adds later in the clip. He recently released his social distancing rendition of the band’s hit “Mother,” which he admitted made him feel nostalgic about jamming out with his former bandmates. “It did make me think, one and a half million of you have viewed our new version of ‘Mother.’ It really warms my heart but it doesn’t bring up the question of why is this video not available on a website that calls itself The Pink Floyd website,” Waters argued. The musician also took aim at Gilmour for not promoting Waters’ 2019 film about the band titled “Us and Them.” “We’re not allowed to even mention such a fact on the official Pink Floyd website. This is wrong,” Waters continued, adding, “We should rise up and, oh, I’ll just change the name of the band to Spinal Tap and then everything will be hunky-dory.” Waters said he also brought up this issue with the band’s “surviving members” last year. He stressed in his tweet along with the video that, in addition to the band’s website, Gilmour has also blocked him from accessing the group’s “Facebook page and all the rest.” The musician then vowed not to “get all weird and sarcastic” and concluded with some thoughts about the coronavirus. “We live in dark, dark desperate times and we need to find ways to communicate with one another so we can act cooperatively to stop the man destroying this fragile planet that we call home,” Waters said. Waters left the band in 1985 and pursued legal action against the group for continuing to use the band name. He failed in court. In 2013, Waters admitted in an interview that he regretted taking legal action against his former band members.

So, even though Roger admits he quit the band 35 YEARS ago, and then SUED the band….he thinks he should be able to have access to their site?  Seriously??  We’ve already established that Roger is a little crazy.  But, c’mon..   It’s unfortunate when things like this happen.  But, they do.  Recently Jonathan Cain and Neal Schon of Journey fired legendary drummer Steve Smith, arguably one of the greatest drummers in rock history, and founding bassist Ross Valory over business/money issues.  Minus Steve Perry, that ended the classic Escape-Frontiers-Trial By Fire era that produced all the great Journey hits.  Awful..  But, I digress..  If Roger wants to try and mend the fence with Dave and Nick, he should do it behind the scenes; not out on social media.  It makes him look like a whiny 16 year old girl.  Dude..  You’re 76 years old.  Get over it.  If you want to see the official Pink Floyd web site in question, click on the text above.

Monkees bassist Peter Tork dies at 77 after being diagnosed with rare tongue cancer 10 years ago

The Monkees bassist and singer Peter Tork died Thursday at the age of 77, his sister Anne Thorkelson has confirmed. Tork’s sibling did not clarify the suspected cause of his death, but in 2009 the musician was diagnosed with a rare cancer that affected his tongue. ‘It is with beyond-heavy and broken hearts that we share the devastating news that our friend, mentor, teacher, and amazing soul, Peter Tork, has passed from this world,’ a post on his official Facebook page read. He celebrated his 77th birthday last Wednesday and is survived by his fourth wife Pam Tork as well as children Ivan Joseph Iannoli, Hallie Luia Tork and Erica Marie Tork. The social media post from his ‘friends, family and colleagues’ continued: ‘We want to thank each and every one of you for your love, dedication and support of our “boss.” Having you in our world has meant so very much to all of us. ‘Please know that Peter was extremely appreciative of you, his Torkees, and one of his deepest joys was to be out in front of you, playing his music, and seeing you enjoy what he had to share. We send blessings and thoughts of comfort to you all, with much gratitude.’ Bandmate Micky Dolenz posted on Twitter: ‘There are no words right now…heart broken over the loss of my Monkee brother, Peter Tork.’ He and Mike Nesmith’s The Mike & Micky Show is currently touring the US until March 16. Australia and New Zealand dates are scheduled for June. Nesmith posted on Facebook: ‘Just got the news that Peter died. I am heartbroken. -Nez.’

Was very sorry to hear of Peter’s passing.  I grew up watching the Monkees show..  “hey hey, we’re the Monkees!’   Thanks for the fun memories and tunes, Peter.   R.I.P.

Pete Townshend pressing forward with new Who album

Pete Townshend is working full throttle on the upcoming Who album — which could be out by this spring. Townshend has been posting on TheWho.com about his current overdub sessions for the album — and the planning of the album cover art. Townshend even posted a 30-second clip of an unfinished track for the album featuring noted guitarist Gordon Giltrap supplying a flamenco-like nylon string guitar line. Townshend went on to post on the website about working with famed pop artist Sir Peter Blake — best known for designing the Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band as well as the Who’s Face Dances — about providing the artwork for the new Who album: Townshend wrote, “Today (January 24th) I met with Peter Blake the artist at his studio in London to discuss what he might do to create album art for the next Who album, We are old friends, going back to 1964 when we met on the set of the Ready Steady Go! TV show. Peter also studied with, and knew well, many of the lecturers who taught me at Ealing Art School between 1961 and 1964. It was great to see the amazing collection of art and sculptures he has. It’s colorful, exciting and stimulating. I shot a video with my new Vlogging camera. Sorry about the shaking — I will get better. By the way, with the help of a friend from Texas who will remain nameless but for the fact that he has a website called theentiref***inguniverse.com gave us an idea for a name for the album. Quite simply ‘WHO’. Might take us right back to the beginning, who knows.” Pete Townshend gave us the back-story on what will be the Who’s first new studio set in nearly 13 years: “I had said to our managers that I would like to tour, but only if we had a new album out. And because I had made that condition, I spent from May, June, July — and quite a chunk of August — working on 15 tracks and wrestling a few tracks from ancient history, and submitted them in the beginning of September.” Townshend told us he’s planning on adding musicians to his studio tracks to flesh out the songs: “Maybe with Pino Palladino on bass and Zak Starkley on drums to replace the bass and drums elements on the recordings that I’ve made, so that it feels more like a band. We shall see. But we’ve started, y’know, we’re in the process. Roger listened to my songs. He came back with a plan, which is, he’s away for six weeks — or nearly, eight weeks, now — when he comes back he’s going to start working on the vocals.” In celebration of their recently announced 2019 North American MOVING ON! Tour, The Who have launched a series of pop up Magic Buses straight from the 60s in Chicago, Los Angeles and New York City. The buses are inspired by The Who’s iconic song “Magic Bus” and compilation album, Magic Bus – The Who On Tour from 1968. Fans in New York City can see the double decker buses now through February 10th as they hit the streets all over Manhattan from Harlem to Midtown, down to Chelsea and Greenwich Village. Fans who spot the bus can also enter a sweepstakes for a chance to win two premium tickets to The Who’s tour stop nearest to them. To enter, fans can post a picture of the bus on Instagram or Twitter using the hashtag #MagicBusEntry and follow + tag @LiveNation in the image.

How cool is that?!?  🙂

Three Dog Night vocalist Cory Wells dead at 74

Three Dog Night co-founder and vocalist Cory Wells died Tuesday, according to the band’s website. He was 74. “It is with deep sadness and disbelief that I must report the passing of Cory Wells, my beloved band mate for over 45 years,” Three Dog Night’s Danny Hutton wrote in a press release. “Cory was an incredible singer – a great performer, he could sing anything.” Wells “died unexpectedly” in Dunkirk, N.Y. He had been touring with the band until September 2015 when he developed “severe back pain.” No cause of death was given. “Cory was like a brother in so many ways,” said Hutton. “We had been together since 1965 and I am in shock at this sudden loss.” The group is best known for its 1960s and 1970s hits “Joy to the World,” ”Mama Told Me (Not to Come)” and “Black and White.” The band’s keyboardist, Jimmy Greenspoon, died of cancer at 67 in March 2015. Wells said of his bandmate at the time, “I will be forever shattered by his death. Jimmy cared so much about excellence in the music and always made sure we had what we needed on stage and in the recording studio. I was amazed by his photographic memory, his love for music.” Wells is survived by his wife of 50 years, two daughters and five grandchildren.

Heard about this the other day..  Very sorry to hear this. Always liked “Joy to the World”…great stuff!  Thanks for the tunes, Cory!  R.I.P.