The job of Republican National Committee (RNC) Chair is Ronna McDaniel’s for another two years if she is up for it. President Donald Trump has asked the high-ranking party official to serve a second term amid a stellar fundraising haul for the 2018 midterm elections, according to a Sunday Axios report. Axios co-founder Mike Allen writes that President Trump is thrilled with McDaniel’s “work on behalf of the America First agenda, effective management of the party infrastructure, and record grassroots engagement and fundraising.” President Trump’s offer comes after the RNC’s August filings showed the party raised $16.4 million for the month, bringing this cyle’s total to a whopping $252 million. “Enthusiasm for President Trump and his successful agenda is fueling our record-breaking fundraising and energizing our grassroots supporters,” McDaniel told The Hill of the record-breaking fundraising haul. With the midterm elections just 22 days away, McDaniel says Republican voters are “completely energized” following a successfully hard-fought battle to confirm Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh. “The generic ballot has narrowed from double digits. Now it’s at seven. I’m looking at every race across the country,” the RNC chair told Fox News host Chris Wallace last Sunday. “We have about 30 that are in the margin of error, certainly in districts where Hillary Clinton won where we have Republican incumbents. Our job is to turn out our base first. Our base is completely energized right now. The Kavanaugh hearings have just highlighted how important this election is for them.” McDaniel, the niece of failed presidential candidate Mitt Romney, was elected RNC chair in January 2017, replacing Reince Priebus, who exited the role to serve as President Trump’s Chief of Staff. Previously, McDaniel assumed the role of Michigan Republican Party Chair in February 2015.
Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler came under fire over a viral video showing Antifa protesters blocking traffic and harassing drivers, but he says he supports the decision by police to watch from a distance without getting involved. “I was appalled by what I saw in the video, but I support the Portland Police Bureau’s decision not to intervene,” he said at a Friday press conference. “This whole incident will be investigated.” The video posted by journalist Andy C. Ngo showed protesters, including members of Antifa and Black Lives Matter, blocking an intersection and attempting to direct traffic at while officers on motorcycle watched from a block away. At one point, the activists chased down 74-year-old Kent Houser after he made a right turn against their wishes, pounding on his silver Lexus and breaking a window. The car sustained thousands of dollars in damage, he told the Oregonian. Even so, Mr. Wheeler insisted that “motorists should feel completely safe coming into downtown Portland.” Demonstrators did not obtain a permit before holding the Oct. 6 march to protest the death of Patrick Kimmons, a 27-year-old black man who was shot and killed Sept. 30 by police. The shooting is under investigation. The mayor has been accused of taking a kid-gloves approach to the protests that routinely roil the liberal enclave, such as the summer occupation of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement building, which saw Portland police refuse to assist unless federal officers were in physical danger. “This is the kind of street anarchy that routinely happens where I live,” tweeted Mr. Ngo. Rioting broke out Saturday night as Antifa activists brawled with protesters who turned out for a “flash march for law and order,” organized the right-tilting group Patriot Prayer.Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler came under fire over a viral video showing Antifa protesters blocking traffic and harassing drivers, but he says he supports the decision by police to watch from a distance without getting involved. “I was appalled by what I saw in the video, but I support the Portland Police Bureau’s decision not to intervene,” he said at a Friday press conference. “This whole incident will be investigated.” The video posted by journalist Andy C. Ngo showed protesters, including members of Antifa and Black Lives Matter, blocking an intersection and attempting to direct traffic at while officers on motorcycle watched from a block away. At one point, the activists chased down 74-year-old Kent Houser after he made a right turn against their wishes, pounding on his silver Lexus and breaking a window. The car sustained thousands of dollars in damage, he told the Oregonian. Even so, Mr. Wheeler insisted that “motorists should feel completely safe coming into downtown Portland.” Demonstrators did not obtain a permit before holding the Oct. 6 march to protest the death of Patrick Kimmons, a 27-year-old black man who was shot and killed Sept. 30 by police. The shooting is under investigation. The mayor has been accused of taking a kid-gloves approach to the protests that routinely roil the liberal enclave, such as the summer occupation of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement building, which saw Portland police refuse to assist unless federal officers were in physical danger. “This is the kind of street anarchy that routinely happens where I live,” tweeted Mr. Ngo. Rioting broke out Saturday night as Antifa activists brawled with protesters who turned out for a “flash march for law and order,” organized the right-tilting group Patriot Prayer.
Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler (D) is garbage, and a spectacular hypocrite…who doesn’t care about the good, law-abiding citizens of Portland in the least. He has the nerve to call for an “investigation” into what happened with the Portland PD allowing Antifa to terrorize citizens…when it was he who ordered the cops to do nothing! Some enterprising journalist should ask Mr. Wheeler, on camera, if he “should investigate” himself for knowingly, willingly, allowing a domestic terrorist organization to control the streets of Portland, and terrorizing its citizens…while he ordered his cops to just back and watch. Of course, that would mean journalists actually doing their jobs and not being partisan hacks making excuses with Democrat politicians they’re trying to protect. Let’s be honest.. The citizens elected this idiot Mayor. So, that’s on them. Hopefully they’ll wake up the next time he’s up for re-election, and vote for the other guy/gal. Imagine a Republican mayor in Portland… There have been crazier thing..
While Hollywood constantly preaches diversity, some of the entertainment industry’s most powerful and influential executives have given almost exclusively to Democrat candidates and left-wing PACs. According to The Hollywood Reporter, nearly 100 percent of the millions donated from the top executives in Hollywood went to Democrats or PACs working to elect Democrats. THR reports: “Of the more than $4 million in federal donations made by the top Hollywood executives and entertainers, 99.7 percent went to Democrats and Democratic-leaning political action committees or organizations, according to a Hollywood Reporter data review of Federal Election Commission records.” Only three members of this year’s THR 100 list donated to Republicans or Republican committees: Saturday Night Live creator Lorne Michaels donated $5,000 to moderate Republican Sen. Susan Collins; WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey gave $2,000 to both Tennessee Republican Senate candidate Marsha Blackburn and the National Republican Congressional Committee; and Viacom CEO Bob Bakish gave $1,500 to Republican Georgia Sen. Johnny Isakson and $1,000 to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. The report also notes that Reed Hastings, the CEO of Netflix, donated over half a million dollars to the Senate Majority PAC, a super PAC that works to get Democrats to win back the Senate. Bill Maher also donated $1 million to the Senate Majority PAC in August. Maher called for a recession in June if it would help get rid of President Trump. “I feel like the bottom has to fall out at some point, and by the way, I’m hoping for it because I think one way you get rid of Trump is a crashing economy. So please, bring on the recession. Sorry if that hurts people but it’s either root for a recession, or you lose your democracy,” he said. It’s also A-list directors like Steven Spielberg and J.J. Abrams and the major Hollywood talent agencies that are lopsidedly donating to Democrats, THR reports. Talent agency management gave consistently and generously to Democrats. After Whitesell ($147,400 in total donations) and Emanuel ($120,400 in donations), CAA Managing Partner Bryan Lourd paced the field ($106,300 in donations), followed by ICM Partners Managing Director Chris Silbermann ($54,700) and CAA Managing Partner Kevin Huvane ($47,300). Directors have been among Hollywood’s most prolific donors, including Steve Spielberg ($549,000) and J.J. Abrams ($347,500). And indeed, many celebrities are getting involved in the midterms like never before. A report from the Washington Post last month indicated that Hollywood has so far given $2.4 million to largely Democratic candidates for the 2018 midterms, more than $1 million than they donated in 2016.
Where is everybody? That question was first posed by physicist Enrico Fermi in 1950 and has now become known as the Fermi Paradox, the contradiction between the lack of any evidence that Earth has been visited by intelligent extraterrestrial civilizations and the high probability that one or multiple civilizations exist, due to a number of factors. While some studies claim humans are alone in the universe, a new study suggests that we have barely dipped our toes in the proverbial water when it comes to looking for intelligent life in space. The new study, published in The Astronomical Journal, states that previous searches for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI) are but a fraction of what is eventually possible. “[Jill] Tarter et al. and others have argued strongly to the contrary: bright and obvious radio beacons might be quite common in the sky, but we would not know it yet because our search completeness to date is so low, akin to having searched a drinking glass’ worth of seawater for evidence of fish in all of Earth’s oceans,” the study’s authors write, summarizing the paper. Jill Tarter is the former director of the Center for SETI Research and an American astronomer who describes herself as the “chief cheerleader for SETI.” The Fermi paradox includes several factors as to why humans have not yet found any evidence of extraterrestrial life: There are billions of stars in the galaxy similar to our Sun; many of these stars have Earth-like planets; and some of these civilizations may have developed interstellar travel, something that is being discussed now by experts, including theoretical physicist Dr. Michio Kaku. The researchers have developed a mathematical model of what they are calling a “Cosmic Haystack,” a haystack that is nearly 33,000 light-years in diameter, with Earth at the center. “Although this model haystack has many qualitative differences from the Tarter et al. haystack, we conclude that the fraction of it searched to date is also very small: similar to the ratio of the volume of a large hot tub or small swimming pool to that of the Earth’s oceans,” the summary adds. As part of the mathematical model, the researchers added eight dimensions to look for aliens, including inputs such as signal transmission frequency, bandwidth, power, location, repetition, polarization and modulation. The formula reads as “6.4 × 10^116 m5Hz2 s/W,” according to MIT Technology Review. So far, humans have searched just 0.00000000000000058 percent of the “cosmic haystack,” a minuscule amount, leaving almost infinite potential that intelligent life still exists, even if it has yet to be found. “This is about a bathtub of water in all of Earth’s oceans,” the study’s co-author, Shubham Kanodia said in a NASA workshop last month, according to Insider. “Or about a five-centimeter-by-five-centimeter patch of land on all of Earth’s surface area.”
House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy announced Friday a new get-tough immigration bill that would build the rest of President Trump’s border wall, punish sanctuary cities and stiffen penalties on repeat-illegal immigrants. The bill is unlikely to see action in the near future but instead serves as a marker for House Republicans as they prepare for what’s likely to be a renewed immigration debate in December or, should Democrats win control of the House, early next year. “Maintaining strong borders is one of the basic responsibilities of any nation. For too long, America has failed in this responsibility,” Mr. McCarthy said in announcing the bill. Mr. Trump is likely to be most excited about the wall funding, which is symbolically important to fulfilling a campaign pledge, but the more substantive parts of the bill deal with withholding federal money from sanctuary cities, shrinking several categories of humanitarian relief and boosting jail time for illegal immigrants who amass serious criminal records. The bill does not cover illegal immigrant “Dreamers.” An earlier GOP push this year for a crackdown strategy toward illegal immigration faltered after a number of Republicans were unable to back the legislation because it didn’t include full citizenship rights for millions of illegal immigrants.
President Trump is plowing ahead to fill three vacancies on the liberal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, brushing aside Democratic resistance to nominate conservative judges. Presidents traditionally work with senators from judicial nominees’ home state — in this case, California — to put forward judicial picks. They often seek what’s known as a “blue slip,” or an opinion from those senators. But in a snub to California Democratic Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Kamala Harris, the White House announced Wednesday that Trump had nominated Patrick Bumatay, Daniel Collins and Kenneth Kiyul Lee (all from the Golden State, and reportedly all members of the conservative Federalist Society) to the influential circuit. The court, with a sprawling purview representing nine Western states, has long been a thorn in the side of the Trump White House, with rulings against the travel ban and limits on funding to “sanctuary cities.” GOP critics have branded the court the “Nutty 9th,” in part because many of its rulings have been overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court. The Sacramento Bee reported that White House officials had been negotiating with Feinstein and Harris about the appointments earlier in the year, but the dialogue collapsed over the summer. Any working relationship is likely only to have soured further after Harris and Feinstein led the charge on the Senate Judiciary Committee against the confirmation of now-Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh. In particular, Trump and Republicans accused Feinstein of withholding information about an allegation of sexual assault against Kavanaugh until after the hearings were over. Both Feinstein and Harris voted against Kavanaugh’s nomination, joined by all but one Democratic senator. Feinstein and Harris reacted angrily to the news of the latest appointments. Feinstein said in a statement that she had been prepared to accept a reported White House proposal of three other judges. She said she opposed both Collins and Lee — who she said had failed to disclose his “controversial writings” on voting rights and affirmative action. “I repeatedly told the White House I wanted to reach an agreement on a package of 9th Circuit nominees, but last night the White House moved forward without consulting me, picking controversial candidates from its initial list and another individual with no judicial experience who had not previously been suggested,” she said in a statement. “Instead of working with our office to identify consensus nominees for the 9th Circuit, the White House continues to try to pack the courts with partisan judges who will blindly support the president’s agenda, instead of acting as an independent check on this administration,” Harris spokeswoman Lily Adams told The Sacramento Bee. Even with the nominations, it would not result in more Republican appointees than Democrat appointees. The Los Angeles Times reports that the approval Thursday of Idaho attorney Ryan Nelson brings the number of Republican appointees to 10 and, if Trump filled all the current openings, it would be 13 Republican appointees to 16 Democratic appointees. The move comes amid a more aggressive push by Republicans to fill vacancies in the federal courts. Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, said Thursday that he wanted the Senate to stay in session until all of the 49 currently pending judicial appointments are confirmed. “Lots of work to do,” Grassley tweeted. “Senate [should] stay in session til all 49 judges are CONFIRMED/ work comes [before] campaigning.” Grassley has suggested in the past that the “blue slip” process has been abused to block otherwise qualified nominees. In a late 2017 floor speech, the senator said colleagues should not “block a nominee because it’s not the person the senator would’ve picked.” He said the White House should “consult” home-state senators and “make that call” in the end.
Agreed..under normal circumstances. But, things are NOT normal. Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Kamala Harris (D-CA) did NOT act in good faith during the Brett Kavanaugh hearings. Feinstein politicized the whole Dr. Ford sham, and knowingly undermined the process; holding on to that letter for weeks instead of turning it over to the committee. She will likely be investigated for her acts. Then there was Harris’ grandstanding and walking out of the hearing. She’s running for president. Her self-righteous, hypocritical grandstanding was nauseating. So, kudos to President Trump for just moving forward with these important nominations. Glad to see him punch back against these obnoxious liberal Democratic Senators from California who, again, continue to NOT act in good faith.
Former NFL player Jim Brown blasted those who decide to kneel instead of stand for the national anthem at a Thursday afternoon press conference outside the White House. “First of all, I’m an American. That flag is my flag,” Brown told the reporters crowded outside the White House. “I don’t think that we should take knees in protest instead of be standing up for our flag.” The NFL legend, along with rapper Kanye West, met with President Trump inside the White House Thursday to discuss issues of importance to the black community. “I gave him my opinion of the overall community of this country,” Brown said. “I expressed my desire to bring a plan, along with his plan, on how to help people. People need jobs, people need education, people need to be attended to, so that’s what I’m talking about.” Brown had publicly endorsed Trump’s 2020 re-election in August, admitting that left-wing black activists would criticize him over his endorsement. The NFL great also met with West shortly after giving Trump his endorsement. Brown has also spoken out against the national anthem protests in the NFL before, saying he would “never kneel” during our national anthem and would “always respect the flag.”
Kudos to Jim for calling the self-righteous, entitlement-minded punks in the NFL who continue to take a knee during the playing of the national anthem. Jim gets it. Excellent! 🙂