Top U.S. generals are weighing ”military response options” following a North Korean missile test that analysts believe, for the first time, showed a capability to strike the continental United States with an intercontinental ballistic missile. Following the launch Friday morning, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Joe Dunford, and Commander, U.S. Pacific Command, Adm. Harry Harris called the Republic of Korea Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman, Gen. Lee Sun-jin, according to the Pentagon. “During the call Dunford and Harris expressed the ironclad commitment to the U.S.-Republic of Korea alliance,” a Pentagon release stated. ”The three leaders also discussed military response options.” Harris joined Dunford in his Pentagon office to make the phone call. Hours after the launch, there is increasing consensus among analysts that the preliminary characteristics of the launch show the capability to exceed 10,000 km in range, a distance capable of potentially threatening New York or San Diego. Pentagon spokesman Navy Capt. Jeff Davis issued an statement on the launch from the Defense Department. “The U.S. Department of Defense detected and tracked a single North Korea missile launch today at about 10:41 a.m. [Eastern Daylight Time],” said Davis, reading the official statement. “We assess that this missile was an intercontinental ballistic missile, as had been expected.” Davis said the missile was launched from Mupyong-ni, and said it traveled “about 1,000 kilometers before splashing down in the Sea of Japan.” Mupyong-ni “is an arms plant up in the far north of North Korea, north of Pyongyang,” Davis said. The missile “splashed down inside Japan’s exclusive economic zone, about 88 nautical miles from Hokkaido,” Davis told reporters at the Pentagon. “We’re working with our interagency partners for a more detailed assessment,” he said. North American Aerospace Defense Command assessed the launch and “determined it was not a threat to North America,” Davis said.
Not this time.. But, then again, that wasn’t the target. What we can take away from this is that the DPRK is moving closer and closer toward an ICBM capability that could hit CONUS (the continental United States). And, that is simply not acceptable. Talking and talking, and imposing so-called “economic sanctions” have done nothing, so far, to deter Kim Jong Ding Dong from pursuing an ICBM and nuclear capability. So, our leaders need to start not just planning “military options,”…but, actually preparing to make the decision to execute those military options. Up til now, it really hasn’t been seriously considered. Sure we have the 2nd Infantry Division on the DMZ, and we have military assets in that theater. But, seriously considering taking unilateral military action against North Korea hasn’t seriously been considered to date. It’s been a can that each presidential administration has just kicked down the road. We’ll see if President Trump follows that foolish precedent, or takes another course of action. To read the rest of this article, click on the text above.