Washington state college students berate professor who refused to participate in no-whites ‘Day of Absence’

A mob of students at a Washington state liberal-arts college confronted a professor and demanded his resignation for writing an email questioning the propriety of a race demonstration in which white people were invited to leave campus for a day. The incident closely mirrors one at Yale University in 2015, in which an email over the right to wear provocative Halloween costumes set off a firestorm and resulted in the resignations of two residential college leaders. A video of the confrontation at Evergreen State College, recorded by one of the protesters and posted to Facebook on Tuesday, shows biology professor Bret Weinstein attempting to reason with dozens of students who routinely shout him down, curse at him and demand his resignation. “There’s a difference between debate and dialectic,” Mr. Weinstein says in the video. “Debate — wait a second — debate means you are trying to win; dialectic means you are using disagreement to discover what is true. I am not interested in debate. I am only interested in dialectic, which does mean I listen to you, and you listen to me.” One student responds, “We don’t care what terms you want to speak on. This is not about you. We are not speaking on terms—on terms of white privilege. This is not a discussion. You have lost that one.” The “Day of Absence & Day of Presence” is an annual event at Evergreen that took place the week of April 9 this year, according to the school’s website. Students and faculty of color have traditionally left campus for the day to hold team-building exercises and demonstrate their importance to the community through their absence. White students and faculty, meanwhile, have traditionally remained on campus to attend anti-racism workshops and seminars. But this year, the school decided to reverse that order, according to campus newspaper the Cooper Point Journal. In an email to Rashida Love, the director of First Peoples Multicultural Advising Services at Evergreen, Mr. Weinstein, who is white, said he would remain on campus. “On a college campus, one’s right to speak— or to be —should never be based on skin color,” he wrote in the March 15 email, which was posted to social media Wednesday.

Kudos to Professor Bret Weinstein for standing up to these punks..  Wow..  Those that got in his face and harassed him should be suspended at the very least.  This kind of brazen bullying by STUDENTS needs to stop, and colleges should not tolerate such behavior at all.  When I was an undergrad, it would have been unthinkable to act that way.  And, I’m positive that if some kid had done this, he’d have been expelled immediately.  Anyway, to read the rest of this story, click on the text above.