Woman arrested in killing of Kim Jong Un’s half-brother, Malaysian police say

A woman carrying Vietnamese travel documents was arrested in Malaysia in connection to the apparent poisoning death of Kim Jong Nam, the exiled half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Officials said the woman, whose documents identified her as Doan Thi Houng, was arrested Wednesday at the Kuala Lumpur airport budget terminal, where Kim Jong Nam was attacked. She is believed to be one of the two women who allegedly killed him with some kind of chemical spray. The woman was identified using earlier surveillance video from the airport, police said. It was not immediately clear whether the passport the woman was carrying was genuine. Still photos of the video, confirmed as authentic by police, showed a woman in a skirt and long-sleeved white T-shirt with “LOL” across the front. Police said they are still hunting for other suspects. The astonishing killing, which reportedly came at the hands of two female assassins, set off waves of speculation over whether North Korea had dispatched a hit squad to kill Kim Jong Nam, who was known for his drinking, gambling and complicated family life. Kim Jong Nam, who was 45 or 46, was estranged from his younger brother, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, and had been living abroad for years. He reportedly fell out of favor when he was caught trying to enter Japan on a false passport in 2001, saying he wanted to visit Tokyo Disneyland. The elder Kim died en route to a hospital on Monday after suddenly falling ill at the budget terminal of Kuala Lumpur International Airport, according to two senior Malaysian government officials, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the case involved sensitive diplomacy. He told medical workers before he died that he had been attacked with a chemical spray, the Malaysian officials said. Multiple South Korean media reports, citing unidentified sources, said two women believed to be North Korean agents killed him with some kind of poison before fleeing in a taxi. Malaysia started an autopsy Wednesday to determine the cause of death. But a Malaysian government official, who also demanded anonymity because of the case’s sensitivity, said North Korea objected to the procedure because they wanted the body back. But the Malaysian official said the autopsy was still continuing. Since taking power in late 2011, Kim Jong Un has executed or purged a number of high-level government officials in what the South Korean government has described as a “reign of terror.”

This is a follow up to this story which we posted earlier (scroll down about three articles)..  To read the rest of this AP story, click on the text above.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s